Industry guide for sandwich bars published
A new industry guide to good hygiene practice for sandwich bars and similar food service outlets is available to order from The Stationery Office (TSO). Produced by industry, on behalf of the sandwich catering sector, the guide aims to help processors to comply with food safety and hygiene law. The guide is recognised by the Food Standards Agency.
The guide, which can be purchased via the ‘External sites’ link, covers the activities carried out by businesses that prepare and sell sandwiches direct to customers for immediate consumption, as well as the pre-packing of sandwiches.
The guidance applies to all businesses small, medium and large-scale with multiple branches. It gives comprehensive information to sandwich manufacturers on:
- product handling
- temperature control
- pest control
- staff training
- the principles behind hazard analysis
It also includes details of current legal requirements, how to comply with the legislation and practical advice on good practice.
The guide is intended to assist food business operators to meet the legal requirements of Regulation (EC) No 852/2004, the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006, and the equivalent regulations for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
The use of the guide is voluntary, as there is no legal requirement for food businesses to follow the advice contained in it. Businesses may demonstrate compliance with the hygiene legislation in other ways. However, where a food business operator is following the guidance in a recognised industry guide, such as this one, the enforcement authority must take this into account when assessing compliance with the legislation.
Other recognised industry guides include:
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Bottled Water
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Flour Milling
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Mail Order Food
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Retail
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Sandwich Bars and Similar Food Service Outlets
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Vending and Dispensing
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Whitefish Processors
- Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Wholesale Distributors